I am happy to announce that now i am a Project Management Professional. Cleared exam on 21st September’2019. Over Target in all process group except Closing.
My journey started in April this year when i choose carrier path of Project Manager from Test Manager. Earlier intention was to get knowledge so that i can plan and execute projects in better and efficient way but then decided to appear for exam.
If you are bachelor then you have to manage only office/business work and PMP preparation but married with kids have another world. Earlier it was really difficult to find time for PMP but then i created preparation plan.
Here are important milestones in my preparation
- Started Project Manager Role on 1st April’2019.
- In April, watched Cert Prep: Project Management Professional (PMP)® by Sandra M Mitchell on LinkedIn Learning.
- June – 5 days Class room training on PMP Preparation
- July – Got PMI membership and ordered hard copy of PMBOK and RITA.
- August and till 20th September – full focus on PMP.
- Purchased PrepCast on 1st September. Appeared 5 full mock tests from 2nd to 20th September with 57%, 70%, 75%, 65% and 76%.
Learning plan and Strategy
- First read chapter X of PMBOK and then same chapter in RITA.
- Solved exercise from RITA and free mock test.
- Ensure minimum 2 hrs daily reading and solve questions posted on WhatsApp in tea/Lunch break or whenever get time.
Tips for selecting right option while answering questions:
- Read last line of question first, it will give you idea what to look for in the rest of the question text.
- Look for keywords in question i.e. whether asking for tools/techniques or process or documents.
- Look for keywords least likely or would not be.
- Look for keywords “not”
- Always follow the process no matter what. If a choice tells to skip a step, it is wrong.
- Always communicate directly and ASAP.
- Remember, as a Project Manager you are responsible. Don’t pass the blame to others.
- Always select the option that seeks to problem solving.
- Remember to document first before taking any actions
- Most of questions were only 3-4 liner.
- I got ~30-40 questions on Change requests.
- 3-4 questions from critical path.
- Many questions which expect PM next action based on current situation.
- Understanding difference and significance of Business Case, Benefit Management Plan and Project Charter is important. I got some question from them.
Finally i would like to thank Sandip sir, Vidhi madam, Vidyesh sir and watsapp group WinningPMPlan for helping me in this journey and best of luck to PMP aspirants.